Thursday, October 3, 2013

FIFF week

Right, so it's Thursday! Time for a new post. Tomorrow is a regular school day, which I can't say I am too excited about, but I have been spoiled this week so I'll get through it. 

This evening I had the most amazing conversation with my host mother Valerie, and my host brother Jean. I had just told them that my favorite drink back home was Root Beer, I guess they don't have that here, because I spent the next ten minutes trying (in vain) to explain what it was. At first I just thought I couldn't explain myself correctly so I turned to the internet for help, I showed them pictures of A&W, Barques, Mug, all the big ones, no dice! My brother thought it was a beer, I said no, so he asked what it looked like, and I said, well kinda like beer...... It's like beer but not alcoholic!I don't know how to say soda in french so I said "It's like Coca" as in coca-cola. But then he thought I was just talking about Coca Cola. 



I somewhat regret the conversation, not because I couldn't get my point across, that is a daily thing; but because now I want Root Beer more than anything in the world! 

But back to my week, as I said in my last entry, this is FIFF week!!!













I would like to start by saying that this theater, El Dorado, was absolutely the most comfortable theater I have ever been in. Everybody had FEET of leg room, and the chairs were like individual couches, if the movie had not been so riveting I would have been asleep in minutes! Tuesday we watched "Mobile Home" an inspiring story of two friends who bought a (you guessed it) mobile home and took it on road trip!! Great idea! Unfortunately the film was not about their amazing adventures and how the trip brought them closer together, but rather how it forced them to realize their base differences, and how fragile their friendship truly was. The movie was actually a teensy bit depressing, but so very well done! Wednesday was a film day, we took a small lesson on basic techniques, and reviewed some other amateur style films and then were told to go make a script and costumes. Rules: Pick an existing story and shorten it to a 1 minute film. Naturally we picked Lord of the Rings.







I wasn't really sure of what was going on a lot of the time, but that was okay! I was given the honor of playing Frodo, and I did my best to portray him in the most realistic manner I could :) 

After we were done at the "Studio" I joined some other kids to go see the King and Queen!!

Yes, as it happens, Royalty was coming to Namur!! Everyone was very excited about it, the whole town got decked out in Belgian flags, people wore strange clothing, there was a lot of chanting. When the King showed himself for a brief 15 seconds everybody got all loud and started chanting "Vive le Belgique"!!!










I had no idea Royalty was coming my town, but that seems to be the way things work for me here, I keep an open mind.

Well, that is all for now, I will write again soon! I want to leave you with a discovery I made here, an amazing one, something that has changed my view on the world completely:



Aahahahaha!! That was funny!!!! K for real, see you in a bit!

1 comment:

  1. Great job doing your blog posts with pix, Will. THANKS!!
    Nana and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete