Thursday, August 29, 2013

A day trip to Brussels!

Well, today was one very busy busy day, I had a day trip in Brussels!! With about 300 other Rotary kids, here take a look at them!



Yup, everybody in that picture is either a Rotary Exchange student or a Rotex. It was very exciting, let me walk you through my day: I woke up, late of course, to my host mother calling me down, I was introduced to Lucy, another exchange student who is leaving near me, our parents had arranged for a carpool. Here, meet Lucy.


We made the 40 minute drive (blergh) and met with the other Exchange students in the park outside the Royal Palace. Royal Palace you say?? Why yes, I visited that! Would you like a picture?? Of course you would!



Yeah, it's in black and white, don't really know how that happened. Beautiful though, am I right? Take a look at the inside!






So that's the Royal Palace, it was nice, kinda touristy though. From there we all walked to a city square, incredible city square, probably where the term came from! Fricken beautiful!




We went into this building below, don't remember what it was called, but it was hot, and stifling, and very crowded once we all got into a room in the middle.



The ceremony was long, we all went up to a podium, shook the hands of some Rotary officials, and handed over our District Flags. Only I forgot my flag, so I just shook hands....



After the Ceremony the 300 kids split up for Lunch, half of us, my half, went to the Restaurant Manneken, the other half went to something that started with a Ch if I believe. I ate a fulfilling meal of Meatballs and Fries, conversed with some exchange kids from Mexico, and then joined the Canadians for the walk to The Parliment Building!!! Here's a photo of said builiding!


We had some fun inside, got to sit around in chairs that are actually used by Officials instead of roped off for tourists. We (the Rotary group) sat in these chairs and listened to some pretty heavy hitters welcome us to the country. By heavy hitters I meant important members of Parliament!! It was fairly awe inspiring to to hear these men treat us so formally and respectfully. 



After all the speeches and the pictures the Rotary kids got to socialize in a main hall, well, actually the entire outing was one big social gathering, I loved it!! I wrapped up the day with a very different kind of Rotary gathering, in the Schwankiest place I've ever been in. Ever!!!


I ate so much good food it was ridiculous, ever eaten Cantaloupe on the same fork as Ham?? Because I have!! I also ate fish, I don't even like fish! But it was still good!! HOW?!?!? Any way, long long day, but it was a good one, definitely one of my best in the country. Ta ta for now, I'll write you in a few days!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you could still walk with all that STUFF pinned to your jacket. And yes, I've done the cantaloup/ham thing. Yum.

    So great to hear about your time. Thanks for keeping it funny too. Sounds just like you.

    ReplyDelete